Monday 2 December 2013

Health and Fitness: Is less really more?

Christmas is on the way and with all the good food and drinks, how can one not gain calories? During this season of giving and love, don’t forget to take good care of your body in the CORRECT way! Do not be like me in the past, when I was 17 and my eyes can’t stop looking at pictures of my definition of perfect on Tumblr. Demi Lovato was my role model during that period of time and I practically worshipped her body. I began having the habit of not eating and going for jogs that lasted 7km and I did it twice in a day. I started seeing results in 21 days and I continued to stick to this ‘diet’ which included eating one meal per day and intense exercising. My weight dropped from 52kg to 40kg within 3 months and I was very happy.


Demi Lovato before and after treatment.
Are you like me? Don’t worry, because you’re not alone. There are increasing cases of anorexia nervosa as well as bulimia nervosa here in Singapore. More teenagers, some as young as 13, are being treated at public hospitals here for eating disorders.
Figures from the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) show that 95 youngsters aged 13 to 19 suffered from anorexia or bulimia last year, up from 65 in 2011 and 75 the year before.
However, I learnt to pick myself up again at the age of 18, with the encouragement and advice of my friends. I realized the measures that I've taken made some of them very upset and I took baby steps by having breakfast every day and my mind was set on being healthy- not skinny. I am proud to say that I am toned and healthy now, I no longer starve myself nor try to throw up my food, and I thank my friends and family for that.
Remember this: There are people around you who cares and I understand that the media may portray some models as skinny as a bamboo stick. However, your health is more important than your body. If you want to lose weight, please lose it in the correct way! Don't compromise the health of your body. If you need motivation, check out some of the fitness blogs I visit below:
Alternatively, feel free to leave a comment or ask me anything! Watch your portions and have a Merry Christmas in advance! Stay tuned for more health and fitness tips!

Pearlyn XX // The sexy bunny

1 comment: